Friday, January 16, 2009

Texting Over a Meal



I have to go on a rant about people who text over lunch/dinner/whatever meal outing or over a personal conversation.

Honestly, I'm so exasperated with people who simply cannot go 45 minutes without texting when having dinner one on one with someone.

What the hell is the point of asking someone to hang out with you if the only thing you intend to do is half text and half pretend to be interested in actually spending time with the person?

It's ridiculous, not to mention rude and inconsiderate and plain annoying. I understand that sometimes you can't help it, fine, shoot a text off before sitting down for dinner. Or wait until the other person steps off to the washroom or something. But when your phone is vibrating every freaking 5 minutes over the course of a meal, that's a problem. Put the damn thing on silent! I want to have your complete undivided attention. Because it's all about me me me, just like how it's all about you you you.

God! It's common courtesy to put away the phone for whoever you're spending the time with...the thing with texts is that no, you don't have to reply right away and most of the time, no one expects you to.

I always put my phone in my bag and only take it out to check the time when having a one on one with someone over a meal because chances are that I'm spending time with them for a reason, whether it's a date or with a friend or whatever, I want to talk to them and find out what's going on with them. It's so annoying and a pain when the other person you're with doesn't seem to get it and doesn't bother to reciprocate.

It's completely unacceptable to me...how is it different from yapping away on your phone at the dinner table?

I love texting...I prefer it over talking over the phone, but there's a time and place for it and it's not during a meal with someone else.