Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Making J.Lo proud

Back in high school, (and I kid you not), I was known as the "asian girl with the big butt."
A particular conversation I was told of went like this:

"Hey, you know Sam--"
"Who? Wait, the asian girl with the big bubble butt right?"
"Yeah that's the one."
"Well, yeah sure! Why didn't you say so?"

When my guy friend told me this conversation he had with one of his buddies, I was mortified. Asian girl with the big bubble butt? You have got to be kidding me. He had to reassure me over and over again that it was a good thing and that it was hot. I rolled my eyes at this and sulked. Of course, like any other girl growing up, I had the preconceived notion that looking like a stick skinny model was the way to go. (Because who ever saw a Lagerfeld model with a big butt? I think not.)

It was even worse because even though I had a 24 inch waist, I could not for the life of me pull myself into a size 24 jean. They slid on smoothly from foot to thigh and then suddenly, I wouldn't be able to pull it over my butt and up past my "childbearing hips." To say it was a struggle is an understatement. I had to wear a size 26, and to this day, I still do...always with a belt of course. At the time, the rear was not a friend of mine. It was my enemy.

Over the years, I've been able to embrace what I have and love my butt. I'm not sure how it happened, but it happened. Yes, I do love it, and I wouldn't trade it for the entire Chanel and Proenza Schouler bag collection put together.

So to all the bootylicious girls out there, embrace that junk in the trunk. If I could go back in time to my former self, I'd slap myself across the face and tell myself to loosen up. Give 'em a little shake here and there.

Live a little.